Meet: The Chicago Italian Turkey Classic. Your New go to Sandwich.
Updated: Jun 2
We are going back to basics. And yes, sandwiches can be pretty too! I mean look at this thing. Its colorful, flavorful, contains the right mixture of meats and vegetables and when they all come together a beautiful sandwich is made right before your eyes!
I am not going to lie. I LOVE a really good hearty turkey sandwich. When browsing a sandwich menu, if there is some sort of turkey sandwich I will never not order it. In addition, I love Italian flavors as well. I wanted to combine the two to create a classic yet upscale sandwich that is also super easy to make in 10 minutes or less.
This sandwich will be perfect if you need a mid-day break for lunch, if you are on the go or you need a quick snack. My husband would consider this a snack.
So, with that being said, meet: The Chicago Italian Turkey Classic
2 Slices of 9 grain or seed bread, not toasted. For this you want soft bread.
1 TBSP lite mayonnaise, divided
1 TBSP yellow mustard, divided
4 Slices of deli turkey meat
2 Slices of salami
3-4 Slices of a ripe tomato
2 Sandwich sliced pickles
Hand full of shredded green leaf
Red Wine Vinegar (optional)
1. Spread the mayonnaise on both slices of bread followed by the mustard. I like to combine both and mix. Plus put on both slices for double the flavor.
2. Layer 2 slices of turkey on each slice of bread.
3. On only one slice of bread layer the salami, then top with shredded greens. Sprinkle the greens with oregano to your liking.
4. On the other slice of bread without the salami, layer the slices of tomato and then pickles on top of that. Here you can add as much or as little red wine vinegar as you would like if you choose to add.
5. To assemble: flip one side of the sandwich on top of the other. Hold down and slice in half.
** NOTE: I love eating this with some fresh fruit, kettle chips, a bowl of soup or event a glass of wine on the side. The combinations are endless! **